Friday, January 26, 2018

Easy Meal-Giving


When I was sicker than a dog the first trimester of this pregnancy, we received so many warm + yummy meals from friends and acquaintances.  They were such a gift.


I've always wanted to be the kind of person that drops meals off at peoples' houses often, returning the favor, but that act of service has never been a natural one for me.  I'm giving myself a little grace these days and making meal-giving as easy as possible.


My favorite dish to give is Shauna Niequist's Enchilada Bake.  Have you heard of it?  It's easy to make, totally freezable, delicious, and the best part is throwing no-brainer (aka: things I don't have to cook) sorts of sides and accompaniments along.  A can of beans, a jar of salsa, a bag of chips, bottles of Jarritos and some crazy straws, of course.


When we are on the receiving end of meals, I am the worst at returning tupperware and baking dishes.  Someday I will tell you how horrible I am at returning library books.  I swear my house is a black hole for borrowed things.  Anyway, when we give meals, I am sure to include totally disposable things that don't need to be returned.


What are your favorite meals to give?  I would love some new ideas!

I forgot a quick tip - if you DO make the enchilada bake, we substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream and skip the chicken broth tortilla step.  It still turns out great!
Share:

2 comments

  1. Love this. One of my go tos for families with little kids is Stromboli because it's a win for nearly every kid I've met and freezable. Or I do enchiladas for the same reasons mentioned here :) when we had a stretch of illness and baby and then more illness a friend brought some chicken Caesar wraps and fresh fruit and it was so so good to eat something fresh like that!

    ReplyDelete

© The DeYounge Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig