Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day


My dad is the greatest.  He is an airplane mechanic and pilot and runs an airport in Iowa.  He is a pro at fixing anything with an engine - even things most people have given up on.  He has made sleds out of car doors, resurrected countless ATVs and snowmobiles and jet skis from the junk yard, and built an airplane in our garage.  He used to be a musician in a bar - complete with long hair, hippy clothes and a guitar - and now he leads worship in my parent's church and helps at the sound board.

Like me, dad doesn't usually have a lot to say in large group settings, but if you can get him one-on-one, and if you ask him a few questions, he will surprise you with long conversations about life, history, politics, music, and memories.  Once you get to know him, you realize he's very attentive, notices the details, and is a great listener.

Dad, also affectionately known as "Dood", is the one of the most selfless people I know.  He's always been behind the scenes fixing, working, cleaning, and busting his behind day in and day out - all to set my sisters and I and my mom up for success.  He's always been available and involved in my life.  Of everyone in my family, dad and I are the most alike personality-wise, so I think he is especially neat.  But yes, I know, I am fairly biased.

Happy Father's Day, Dood!  In the words of Shane Lee, you are 'just awesome'.

Rock the block.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The DeYounge Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig