Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lasagna-licious Soup


If you can believe it, I have more birthday celebration things to post about, but I will break up my bragging by posting a yummy new recipe.

The original is found HERE and is by Paula Deen.

At this time, I would like to mention how much I love Paula Deen.  She is funny, messy when she cooks, she is not afraid to stuff her face full of good food on camera, she says ya'll ALL the time, she is unashamed about using lots of butter and sugar, she is not a skinny cook, she seems super approachable, and above all, she is still classy, cute and sassy.

Giada, on the other hand...well, I suppose if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't say anything at all.  Fine.  Convicted.

For as much as I like Paula Deen, I adjusted a few things on her recipe to make it a bit healthier for us...yet still super yummy.  Like REALLY yummy.  Promise.

You should also know that I am a really no-fuss sort of cook, so you can rest assured that this is a really easy, dump and pour, you-can't-screw-this-up sort of recipe.


Here is MY recipe, adapted from Paula's:

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound hamburger (I use ground chicken or turkey - you REALLY can NOT tell the difference.)
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 1 chopped green bell pepper
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced (I use the pre-minced kind in the jar and just dump a lot in.  We like garlic.)
  • A good pinch of ground thyme
  • 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 32 oz. box of chicken broth
  • 2 14.5 oz. cans of diced tomatoes (get the kind that have basil, garlic and oregano already in them!)
  • 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
  • 2 teaspoons of italian seasoning
  • some salt...  I don't know.  Just sprinkle some in until you feel good.
  • Noodles - I use 100% whole wheat noodles and you can't even tell.  Paula says to use about 2 cups, but I say add however many noodles you want.  It doesn't hurt either way.
  • 1 5-6 oz. package of shredded parmesan cheese (I get these packages in the regular shredded cheese section.)
Directions:

In a big pot, combine ground beef/turkey/chicken, onion, bell pepper and garlic.  Cook over medium-ish heat until the meat is browned and crumbles.  I use really lean meat, so I don't even bother draining it at the end.

Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, italian seasoning and salt.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 or 20 minutes - whatever floats your boat.  Add noodles and simmer until the noodles are tender.  Dump in the bag of shredded parmesan cheese and stir it up until it melts.


Enjoy!

PS - When I make this, I make two batches and freeze one for later.  This makes awesome leftovers and tastes better with every reheat!
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The DeYounge Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig