Sunday, June 23, 2013

Swimsuit Soapbox

So many of the blogs I follow have been raving over this video...  It's super interesting and worth your time to watch!


Let me repeat that I liked this video and found it really interesting.  However, I would like to add some of my own comments in regard to the overall discussion that surrounds this video and the topic of modesty in general.  Welcome to my delightful soapbox.

1) Hooray for one piece swimming suits!  I hope they make a comeback.  Although, I will say, my motivation for wearing a one piece has more to do with me wanting to feel more covered up vs. a holy desire to be modest.  Heck, I wish I could wear t-shirts and capris swimming...  Too bad that's not stylish.

2) Do one piece swimming suits really make that much of a difference to guys?  One pieces do a better job of covering up your stomach - not necessary your top or bottom half, which I'm guessing are the halves that guys like to look at in the first place.  Since when were stomachs super scandalous?  I should do a guys' survey, but I'm guessing one pieces don't solve much of the objectifying problem.

3) Though this video, and much of the discussion surrounding the video, is about swimming suits, isn't this a bigger conversation?  Isn't this less to do with swimming suits and more about an overall lifestyle of modesty?

4) I'm not sure it's okay to vilify guys in all of this.  Their brains are wired by the Lord to notice and appreciate the female physique.  I don't think the video did make guys look bad, but the modesty discussion always seems to be riddled with hints of guys gawking and being perverted - as if it's their problem and that girls are the victims in all of it.  Let's just try to be helpful, ladies, and deal with ourselves.  I am okay with letting Mark Driscoll deal with the men.

5) I would also like to add that I think it's much less about what you wear and much more about why you are wearing it.  There are plenty of times in my life that I dressed modestly, but to look better than someone else, or to root my identity more and more in my appearance.  I'm guessing the Lord would rather someone wear a binki with a pure heart than a turtleneck with a heart that had selfish or distorted motivations behind it...

So...not that it matters to anyone, but I would not recommend going out and buying a new one-piece just because all the good Christian girls are doing it.  Nor do I think we Christian ladies get to judge other Christian ladies for rocking teeny-weeny bikinis.  (I'm preaching to myself here, folks.)  Think about your entire wardrobe, your lifestyle, your motivations and your heart in what you wear.  This approach is a bit tougher then shucking out 20 bucks at Target for a new suit, but I'm guessing it'll be well worth it.

Search me, O God, and know my heart!  Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. -from Psalm 139

PS - The Rey chick in the video really does design super cute suits.  Check out her shop!


SHARE:

3 comments

  1. Vandella Costumes is the most preferable shop for all those who want to buy sexy swim suits & Designer Swimwear. The shop is offering more than 900 styles so you will get a chance to select the most suited ones. These sexy bikinis are designed by world famous designer, Kira. Designing suits is not a profession for her, but it is passion. This is the reason these competition suits look so attractive and charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

© The DeYounge Life. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig