This week, a group of delightful twenty-something gals and I are reading Psalm 139. It's going to be so much fun!
Here's the "personal" version of our study on Psalm 139 (minus large and small group discussion). Use the outline and questions below to engage the Lord and the scripture on your own time.
And, PS - I'm a firm believer that reading the bible, praying and spending time with the Lord does NOT have to be boring or mundane. I like to incorporate music, art, commentaries, sermons, different bible translations, videos - even Pinterest! - to keep my time with the Lord fresh and exciting. Use the links towards the bottom of this post to add an "extra" dimension to your time with God.
BEFORE you read the scripture...
Prepare your heart to hear from God. Try listening to the video/song below. As you listen, prayerfully
breathe OUT all the crap and baggage you are holding on to. Breath IN God and His Spirit. Focus on the lyrics, pray the lyrics. Relax, "dial" or "tune" in.
Seek God and PRAY that He’d speak to you as you read today! Believe His promise. If you seek Him, you WILL find Him!
Matthew 7:7-8 - Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.
READ the scripture...
Find Psalm 139 in your Bible or favorite bible translation. As you read, journal or take notes and prayerfully ask the Lord these questions. (If you like ambient music to listen to AS you read, try this playlist: Psalm 139 Ambient Playlist)
- God, what part of this scripture are you highlighting for me today?
- What do you want to say to me through this? In regard to my life? In regard to who You are or what You’re doing?
- Now that you have spoken, how do you want this to change the way I live? How can I apply this to my life, God?
- Write down any questions that you have in regard to the scripture.
- Read through this passage for a week, at least once per day. Continue to journal your thoughts, your prayers, your questions, etc.
- Post a verse or phrase from the scripture as a reminder of what God spoke into your heart.
- Whatever you do in your day – take the Lord with you. Be mindful of His presence. Be communicating with Him as you go about your regular business. If you keep forgetting, write a note on your hand, tie a string around your wrist, etc. Figure out a way to remember Him.
This Pinterest board is a compilation of fun things (art, prints, music, translations, commentaries, quotes, prayers, etc.) relating to Psalm 139. Click HERE or on the Pinterest picture to snoop around.
If you are in the Sioux Falls area, available on Tuesday nights, and wanting to JOIN us at bible study, please leave a comment below with your email address. I'll be in touch!