Thursday, April 21, 2011

Trades: Shampoo, Conditioner, Body Wash


As promised, here are some more trades we've made in the last few months. I KNEW you were dying to hear about them... :)

About Column 1: I was using John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette shampoo and conditioner, and I loved it. I think I mostly loved the smell (warm and vanilla-ish), and was happy it made my hair shiny. I was also using St. Ives body wash...mostly because it was cheap and smelled nice too. Anyway, I did a little bit of research and found out a lot of the chemicals that are used in personal care products are pretty dangerous. To find out more, visit: http://www.myvillagegreen.com/blog/?p=61. You can also find out how your own personal care products measure up by visiting: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/. Mine were 6's...10 being the most dangerous.

About Column 2: I switched to Burt's Bees Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash. (4's, according to the cosmetic database.) Big mistake. I held out my hand to squirt some shampoo into it. By the time I could get my hand to the top of my head, all the shampoo leaked between my fingers. It is crazy thin and watery stuff. It also makes your hair feel like a bale of straw. Very attractive. I'm stubborn and cheap, so I was determined to use it up anyway. Let's just say that, in trying to get the shampoo to the top of my head quickly without it running through my fingers, I had to master a small circus feat in the shower every morning. You have to use a ton of conditioner to get a brush through your hair, so I don't recommend that product either. The body wash is fine. No huge complaints, but didn't love it either. My last complaint is that it runs between 8 and 9 dollars for a measly 12 ounces. Not cool.

About Column 3: Cue the confetti and balloons... The Yes to Carrots brand is fantastic. (2's on the database!) You only have to use a little bit of shampoo because it's crazy sudsy, and, imagine this, it stays in your hand...all the way to the top of your head. The conditioner smells clean and soothing...kind of reminds me of a nice smelling baby. The body wash is great too. My hair feels great, it's shiny again and I can get a brush through it easily. AND...it is reasonable. Target sells a 17 ounce (that's pretty big, folks) bottle of shampoo, conditioner or body wash for 9 dollars. Keep in mind my old John Frieda stuff was about 6 dollars for an 8.5 ounce bottle. Not that much more expensive, if you do the math.

I will also throw in a small recommendation for Target in general... If you want to find reasonably priced organic or natural personal care products, they are a great main-stream store to go to. Wal-Mart, not so much. :)

The moral of the story, just say YES...to carrots, or cucumbers or blueberries. Visit there 'just awesome' site here:
Share:

1 comment

  1. the 'yes to carrots' conditioner smells and looks like you're rubbing sun block into your hair. it makes me slightly queezy every time.

    ReplyDelete

© The DeYounge Life | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig